Warren County Recorder

Hunting & Fishing Licenses

The Warren County Recorder sells hunting and fishing licenses. We also sell:
- Regular deer licenses and landowner / tenant licenses
- Regular turkey licenses and landowner / tenant licenses
- Federal Duck Stamps
You may also purchase your license online at Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

Return to Recorder Page

Snowmobile & ATV Registrations

The cost is $17.75 for ATV or Snowmobile renewals. Please add $1.00 if you want them mailed to you.
Payment may be made by check, cash or debit/credit card. There will be a transaction fee if card is used.
Renewals due by December 31st of each year. Late fee is $5.00 after that date.
Questions 515-961-1089 301 N Buxton, Suite 109, Indianola, IA 50125

ATV/UTV Ordinance for operation on County roads
The Warren County Recorder now has registration decals for operating ATV/UTV Vehicles on Warren County roads. The cost is $15.00 per year.

Boat ATV Application
The Warren County Recorder issues boat, ATV / Snowmobile registrations, titles and liens on titles. We also collect sales tax on casual boat, ATV & snowmobile sales.

Click here for Iowa DNR Boating Registration Guide
When transferring a boat or ATV to your name, DNR requires us to have a copy of the old or current registration, BILL OF SALE (Signed by previous owner), and the title, if there is one.
Payment may be made by cash, check or debit/credit card. There will be a transaction fee if you use your card.

Snowmobile / ATV Fees
Snowmobile / ATV renewals are due before December of each year.
Yearly Registration fee $17.75
Duplicate Fee $6.75
Title Fee $11.50
Lien Fee $11.50
Boat Title $12.75
Boat Lien $12.75

Hull ID number for each boat – this will need verified from the vessel by the owner.

If the boat was not renewed during the last 2016-2019 period , there will be a $5.00 penalty fee.
If you are renewing by mail, please include $1.00 postage per boat.
Renewals are due by July 1, 2022 to avoid penalty.
If you are purchasing a boat, you will need to bring the Registration, the Title (It will have one if the boat is over 16ft), and Bill of Sale to the Recorder’s Office to register the boat in your name.
Questions? Please call us at 515-961-1089.

Return to Recorder Page

Land & Record Management
Declaration of Value
Groundwater Hazard Statement

The Warren County Recorder is responsible for recording the following documents:
- Deeds
- Contracts
- Mortgages
- Federal and State Tax Liens
- Affidavits
- Plats & Surveys
- Section Corner Certificates
- Military Service Records
- Easements
- Condemnations
- Trade Names
- Leases
- 28E Agreements
- Bills of Sale
- Plus other documents

Filing fees for documents are $7.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page. There is a transfer fee of $5.00 per section or block (according to the legal description of the document) for deeds, contracts, affidavits and any document that convey land. Iowa Real Estate Transfer Tax is paid on all real estate conveyances with consideration over $500.00. Transfer tax is based on $.80 per $500 of value, with the first $500 exempt. If the documents are exempt from the tax, Per Chapter 428A.2 of the Code of Iowa, that exemption must by typed on the face of the document.

Return to Recorder Page

Passport Information

We are currently taking Passport Applications by appointment only. Please contact our office at (515)-961-1089 for scheduling. At this time, you will need to bring a passport photo with you in addition to all required documentation.

Feel free to visit travel.state.gov for additional information.

Return to Recorder Page

Vital Records

The Warren County Recorder:
- Registers Deaths that take place in Warren County
- Registers Births that take place in Warren County
- Registers Marriage Certificates that apply in Warren County
- Issues Marriage Licenses (this license is valid statewide)
- Certifies Warren County Vital Records

If a Warren County resident passes away in another County in Iowa, we will now be able to produce a copy of the death certificate from the State. The Iowa Dept of Public Health has created a state wide system for Death records-IVES Iowa Vital Event System. It has death records back to 1954. Come in and check it out!

Application forms:

To obtain certified copies of Warren County vital records, the applicant has to be entitled to the record. This would include spouse, children, legal parents, grandparents, legal representative or guardian. A form, available in the office, will need to be filled out. The cost per certified copy is $15.00. The applicant will need to show photo identification.

A marriage application cost is $35.00 The bride, groom and third person, all over the age of 18, will all need to bring photo identification at time of application. The bride and groom will need to know how to spell parent's names, including mother's maiden name. The bride and groom will need to know what their name will be after marriage.

If bride and/or groom are under 18, an application for minor will need to be filled out and signed by a parent or legal guardian. The bride and groom will need to appear before a judge and have this application signed.

The bride or groom can pick up the license and certificate of marriage in three days. There is a three-day waiver form available in the office that is an additional $5.00 fee if the bride and groom need their license and certificate of marriage issued the same day. The bride and groom need to have this form filled out and appear before the judge for his signature.

The State of Iowa requires no blood test.

For more information see: Iowa Department of Public Health.

Return to Recorder Page